Re: Unix and Xywrite and whatnot

Dear Harmon,
   I wanted to thank you for your reply about Virtual PC. I looked into
the product yesterday on the website of Connectix, the manufacturer, and
contrary to what you say below, they have some pretty stiff hardware and
software requirements for the program (PowerMac G3, System 7.5.5, etc.).

 On Tue, 8 Dec 1998, Harmon Seaver wrote:

>    Haven't tried that -- but if you're wife has a Mac, why don't you
> get a copy of Virtual PC and try it. It was only $50 for the plain DOS
> (no w95 included) version. If her Mac is older, it might be a bit slow,
> but should still work, unless it's one of those really old ones with the
> small buiilt in screen, etc. Don't know how or if they're multi-sync and
> would handle the graphics view, etc., but the printing stuff should work
> the same.

I would be buying the plainest version of Virtual Mac (the one that allows
you to run DOS sans Windows which you mention above). Do you really think
the program would run on my wife's LCIII (System 7.1) or the one in my
office, which is just about a year younger (System 7.2, I think)?

Also, what is a multi-sync monitor, and how do I tell if a
particular Macintosh has one?

You may reply off the list if you think that's better. Thanks!

Carlo