Using XyWrite file in Word and saving as text document

Can anyone help solve the following conundrum:

I have someone doing some outside editorial work for me in pre-existing XyWrite files that I have prepared.  She doesn't have access to XyWrite and we can't get XyWrite to properly install on her computer.  So, she is opening up the files in Word.  However, when she saves the file as a text file, in Word, Word somehow substitutes some characters that then prevents the mode commands from working as they should.

Testing on my own machine what I would like for this person to be able to do, I find that I am able to open up a XyWrite file in Word and then save the file as a text document, which I can later open up in XyWrite so long as when I save the file in Word as a text file, I leave the "allow character substitution" box unchecked in the file conversion dialogue box.  (Checking the box, turns the encircled "R" that appears before each mode command into a small "r" inside parenthesis.  This change then prevents the mode commands from becoming hidden when the file is opened in Xywrite and the commands are missing the double carrets that precede each command.)  However, I am using MS Word 2003 (ver. 11.6568.6568) SP2.  My contractor is using MS Word 2000, ver. 9.0.2720.  When she saves as a text file she doesn't get a pop-up file conversion box and is not given the option to allow or not allow for character substitution.  As a result, when she saves a XyWrite file as a .txt file, the registered trademark symbol (the encircled "R") that appears in Word before each XyWrite mode command turns into an "r" surrounded by parenthesis, rendering the file useless to me.

Is there a way in which a user of MS Word 2000 can save these files such that it won't corrupt the file.  (When she saves the file, the replacement of the encircled "R" with a parenthetical "r" is not the only change, but it is the most obvious. Thus, doing a search/replacement in Word (replacing parenthetical "r"s with encircled "R"s) when I get the file doesn't completely solve the problem. Moreover, it adds extra steps that we are trying to avoid.)   If there are too many extra steps, it is more efficient for me to just copy from Word the additional material she is writing and paste that into the XyWrite file.

Avram Sacks
Using XyWrite III Plus ver. 3.58B

         Avram L. Sacks

         Social Security Law Analyst