Re: Two real, honest-to-goodness Xy questions

Caballero wrote:
How about -
There, all is nothing but order and beauty

Better: simply omit "nothing." --Carlo Caballero
Ah, but Carlo, how many people under--what? 40? 50? 60?--would be able to understand that construction? That was what I thought of at first. But "all is but order..." will be unintelligible to nine out of ten readers. Nobody reads anything written before he or she was born. Its not just "big words" (I can't use "exacerbate" in my council reports); it's any construction that they haven't seen in People or their daily newspaper or heard on the TV.

--
Patricia M. Godfrey
PriscaMG@xxxxxxxx