Win2K truncation bug

I'm not sure if this is well known, but Win2K seems to have a bug in its
file-name truncation routines.

I have this file in my CD ROM drive:

  \XyWrite\XyWrite III+\3plus.kbd

Standard Windows programs have no difficulty with the long subdirectory
name, but none of my versions of XyWrite can access that subdirectory. The
subdirectory does not show up in a DIR listing from the command line or
through the menus. Trying to access the file by calling it in a properly
shortened path fails as well.

NBWin 6.1 has the same difficulty. I'm amazed that NBWin hasn't yet gone
"upscale" to true long filename support.

XyWin 4.12 fails as well, but in the Open File menu is does show a garbled
version of "XyWrite III+", but can't CD to it.

In a Win2K DOS box (or full screen) I can access the subdirectory by using
the long filename. But it will *not* recognize a properly shortened name for
it, though, and this seems to be the bug that causes problems for XyWrite
and kin.

If anyone knows of a Win2K fix for this I would appreciate hearing about it.
Does WinNT or WinXP have the problem?

Myron