Re: Menu/Help file not loaded misery . . .

Reply to note from "Fred Weiner"  Tue, 4 Apr 2006
16:42:33 -0700

Fred:

> This is my first post to the list; before I knew about it I
> wrote this puzzling situation to Messers Holmgren and
> Distefano, invading their privacy, no doubt. I trust I will be
> forgiven.

Never! This is an unforgiving place. You've had the temerity to
enter; now, abandon all hope...

Kidding, of course. Glad you found us! Been meaning to answer your
e-mail. (The answer would have been to subscribe here.)

The error message "Menu/Help file not loaded" means what it says. If
you're seeing it when you press your , it means that U2 is
not loaded. You can verify this by issuing the following command:

VA/NV $U2

If it returns "(none)", your U2 file is not loaded, which in all
likelihood means that it isn't being loaded at startup. Check
STARTUP.INT. It should have a line that that looks something like the
following (BX and Q2 represent functions [created with commands
PFUN BX and PFUN Q2, respectively]; adjust drive and path specs as
necessary):

BX load d:\xy4\xywwweb.u2Q2 ;*;

On the other hand, if VA/NV $U2 returns the correct path to your U2
file, then something else is going on. Open your keyboard file and
check your  assignment. It should look like this:

nn=NOXHJM2,.,P,r,s,C,M,l,i,n,e,Q2

If it doesn't, tell us exactly what it does look like. Paste your
 assignment into your e-mail message (copy and paste it;
don't type it manually). While you're at it, quote us your LOAD
statement from STARTUP.INT, as well.

Those are the two likely culprits, based on the information you've
provided. I know you've checked these things umpteen times before;
but, humor me, and check them again. Let us know.

--
Carl Distefano
cld@xxxxxxxx