Re: Can I install Xywrite

I'm an omnivore, and use several word processor--with different co-authors
and for different purposes.  But I mostly am using NBWin now (on Win 98
Pentium 3 machine)--because it works much better than XYWin.  And for other
reasons, even hating Windows as I do, I still need/want to be in it.  Some
XY files apparently have had some funny hidden garbage in them that
troubled (sometimes froze) NB--but without a Hex viewer these days, I have
no idea what the junk actually was.  The ANSI/ASCII thing has troubled me
not at all, perhaps because I don't do much in the way of elaborate command
line operations.  And I have had no flicker problem at all--I am sure that
it is too specific to certain users/installations to be caused by anything
remotely as general as the ANSI/ASCII issue.  For my money, I guess, NB is
the XY of the future.
                                Cheers,
                                        David

At 11:05 AM 12/21/01 -0500, you wrote:
At 17:31 Uhr -0500 20.12.2001, Peregrine@xxxxxxx wrote:

>If I REALLY get
>the urge to install XyWrite on a newer OS, I'll likely opt for NotaBene
>instead.
>
>Jeff Seager

But it just does not have the same look and feel. And how DO you ever get
used to a program that shows ASCII on the command line and ANSI on the
screen? Am I the only one who thinks this is crazy?
-- Rene von Rentzell, Tokyo (rrr @ twics.com)
No, in fact, there seems to be a screen handling problem that many users
report. Screen flickers in draft mode and many NB users on the NB list
report they work in graphics mode. Lots of advice on their list on how to
correct this, but I tested it on no less than five machines and could not
get rid of the problem, which may be an attempt to reconcile ANSI and
ASCII, who can say. Too bad; their WP, text-retrieval, bib combo could be
very useful.

michael norman

David B. Kronenfeld             Phone   Office  909/787-4340
Department of Anthropology              Message 909/787-5524
University of California                        Fax     909/787-5409
Riverside, CA 92521                     email   kfeld@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Department: http://Anthropology.ucr.edu/";>http://Anthropology.ucr.edu/
Personal:  http://pweb.netcom.com/~fanti/david.html";>http://pweb.netcom.com/~fanti/david.html