Re: Problems With XyWrite v4.014

On Tue, 7 Mar 1995, Harmon F Seaver wrote:

> >Also, in Warp OS2 the system slows drastically if I try to run
Quattro > >Pro for Windows and WPWin 6.1 at the same time. When
I load Ecco (a > >Windows PIM) things become impossible. By
using XyWrite I can relieve the > >load on system resources.
Incidentally, I'm using a 486 DX250 with 16 meg > >of RAM.
> >    How big is your swap space? Even with 16 meg of RAM, you should still
> allocate 16-20meg of swap space. It works faster if you do have that amount
> as your minimum, not leaving it at the default 2-4 meg or whatever it is.
> That's true of most systems these days -- unix is the same way. Or even
> windoz -- make a permanent 20meg swap file.

My C drive has only about 25 or 30 meg available. Warp sets up a
swap file as needed, and so far as I can make out it has gone up
to 18 meg. I'll see if I can switch some files to the D drive
and free up some more space. But if I've been having problems
with an 18 meg (or more) swap space, I tend to think that the
problem is in hard disk access and other related hardware
issues. When I switch to the DOS boot the programs work a lot
quicker and I can load the 3 main ones, but I end up with the GPF
 fault message after a short while. That's why I'm using XyWrite
(or will when I get the rust out); Warp doesn't get slowed down
with DOS programs: it really is a better DOS than DOS.

Thanks for you assist.

--Jack

:Jacob Green | INET:jake@xxxxxxxx | CIS :73457,3711 |
Voice:201-455-0455:
:  2 Ridgedale Avenue | P.O. Box 551 | Cedar Knolls, NJ
07927-0551  :
:   I will put pithy saying here as soon as I find the time to
   :