Re: Problems with Microlytics dictionary in XY4

Reply to note from Paul Breeze  Wed, 13
Mar 2002 19:22:38 +0000

> I have ... covered most of the obvious ground. My startup file
> does indeed define DR. I have also set up XY4 to use expanded
> memory. This has all been to no avail. Any other ideas?

Make sure that the amount of expanded memory that the OS allocates
to your XyWrite session exceeds the "/e" value you use to launch
XyWrite by at least 230 Kb. For example, if you start Xy with
EDITOR/e1000, make sure that you're allocating at least 1232 Kb of
EMS to your XyWrite session (that's the allocation as set on the
Memory page of the Properties folder for your Xy session).

Another thing: Is default ZX set to 0? Check by issuing on the
command line VA/NV $ZX. Non-U.S. dictionaries require 0 (not the
default value of 1). Check SETTINGS.DFL and, if necessary, add or
edit the following line:

df zx=0

Then reLOAD SETTINGS.DFL or QUIT and restart Xy.

Are you using an external procedure to toggle between the U.S. and
U.K. dictionaries? If so, remember that the U.S. dictionary must be
active (with filename DICT.SPL) when Xy4DOS initializes, and it must
be *used* at least once before swapping to the U.K. (or another)
dictionary.

--
Carl Distefano
cld@xxxxxxxx