Re: IBM Releases 27 Dictionaries/Thesaurii for Xy4-DOS and XyWin

At 02:49 AM 9/22/99 EST, you wrote:

>It's true. On 20 September . . .Big Blue released as freeware a barrage
of spelling
>dictionaries, twenty-seven in all, each with an extensive thesaurus, for
>XyWrite 4 and XyWrite for Windows.

Many thanks for letting us know about these! They seem to have been
released as part of a new version of Netscape Communicator for OS/2, v.
4.61, that has expanded support for a wide range of code pages, including
Japanese, Korean, etc., Unicode, Central European, along with other
improvements.

I don't use the Netscape browser--Opera's nice amd clean and simple--but
I've downloaded the whole Netscape shebang and can use the Compose segment,
the HTML editor, to run the spell checkers. Seems to work, for HTML or text
files. There are ins and outs I haven't got straight yet that have to do
with conflicting code pages, I suppose. But it seems to work nicely enough
in Netscape for the Western European langs I wanted.

Though there doesn't appear to be any way to run a global spell check that
comes up with a list of words. And neither of the German dics recognizes
the eszed, the German double ess. Has it been dropped in the reform spelling?

I'd love to be able to run the PCLEX spellers in XyWrite--much simpler--but
I didn't hold on to any of my Sig files or to the Signature disks and
haven't, so far, found a way to get the required DLL files. They're not on
the XY III Plus disks.

It would be nice of TTG to make them available, wouldn't it? The PCLEX
spellers add value to XyWrite and, for all I know, to SmartWords.

I've been stewing about the lack of spell checkers now for a long time.
Nice to have a solution. Of sorts.

Regards and thanks again,

Robert Hemenway