Re: Assistance/advice in reinstalling XyWin?

** Reply to note from Jane Van Tassel <101233.342@xxxxxxxx> on
Wed, 18 Sep 2002 10:11:52 -0400

> the instruction in the XyWin "Installation &
> Learning Guide" to "run a:install" produces the Windows error message that
> "a:install" can't be found. (I append directories of my three floppies
> labelled "XyWrite 4.12J.")

You can see for yourself that no file called INSTALL.* appears on any
of your diskettes. So obviously diskette installation isn't going to
work. Anyway, lots of people have problems with the diskettes (don't
exactly know why, but they do), so maybe the thing to do is go with
the "copy" of your old setup.

When you copied the old installation, *how* did you copy it? across
a network? with a ZIPped copy of all your old directories? did you
include the subdirectories? did you install to EXACTLY the same
driveletter and directoryname that the installation occupied on the
old box? otherwise, all the drive/dir settings will be incorrect, so
of course you're going to get numerous errors when you launch.

You're going to have to debug the configuration, file by file: INT
and DFL are the places to start. Put  in INT, line by line, to
halt loading until you clean up each of the LOAD files (keep QUITting
and restarting XyWin, moving the  down a line in INT after you
get a clean LOAD of the current line). It isn't as hard as it
sounds. Make sure that every file specified is actually there, where
INT or DFL say it is!

Robert Holmgren
holmgren@xxxxxxxx