Carriage returns in an imported file

I've just tried to start an editing job on a file created in WinWord, which
I took over into XyWrite (I use both XyDOS 4 and XyWin) by using WinWord's
"Save As" feature. All the accented characters (of which there are many in
this file) are screwy, but they're easy enough to identify and change
globally. What has me foxed is a symbol that looks like an "enter" (i.e. a
left-facing arrow on screen) and behaves like one (e.g. if I have a hanging
indent the new line after this symbol begins flush left); but it doesn't
respond like a normal  keystroke in search or change commands, such
as
    cia |||
when I put the  into the command line by the usual method (putting
ScrollLock on and keying Ctrl+).

This means that I can't manipulate the paragraph-end as I would in a true
XyWrite file.

The mystery carriage-return does respond to searches for wildcard
"separator" (i.e. se ||) and it responds to some other commands
but not the one I want to use. Thus, I get a positive result from
    cia |||
but if I do that and then try to delete the mystery carriage-return (which
would leave the paragraphing as the author intended but effected by
XyWrite-compatible s) it says "Cannot find item".

I believe this has been discussed by the List in the past, but I
shortsightedly deleted any useful messages on the subject. If anyone can
help, I'll be grateful.

Cheers
Eric Van Tassel