Cursor size in XP

Another XP problem: when running Xy4DOS in a window on the desktop, the
cursor is small.
Right-clicking on the top blue bar of the window gets me to Properties,
which allows me to change the cursor size to Large, and all is well. BUT,
whether I "Apply Properties" for "future windows with same title" or
"current window only" it doesn't stick. Next launch of Xy (from icon in
quick-launch area) gives small cursor again.
Worse than that, sometimes during a session the cursor will revert to
medium-size (which is too small to find the cursor quickly).
I even have "Large" set in the "Defaults" area of what you get by
right-clicking. Doesn't make no damn difference.
To add to the mystery, if I launch Xy with a blank STARTUP.INT, it produces
the small cursor. But when I then RUN my regular startup (which I've
renamed to STARTUP.SAV, the cursor pops up as the right size!

So I tried making STARTUP.INT be:

BX run STARTUP.SAV Q2
No luck. But, thinking it must be timing I added a two-second pause to STARTUP.INT:

BX p 2 Q2 BX run STARTUP.SAV Q2

and that works!

In SETTINGS.DFL, I have:

DF CR=0,112,88,4