CLIP Woes

All right, I've read and reread all the files in CLIPW32.ZIP and I can't
for the life of me figure out what the hell I'm doing wrong.

System: XP Pro, XyDos 4.018 in a DosBox/TAME. U2 117 installed.
1. Checking first my new U2 installation. Question, instructions say to put KMD.EXE in the *first* directory in the path. For me that's actually a kind of distant subdirectory: C:\PROGRAM FILES\THINKPAD\UTILITIES;C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32;C:\WINDOWS......
U2 seems to be working fine; SAVESESS and CALLUP, for example, pose no
problems, but I wonder whether KMD.EXE is in the right place. Let's assume
it is.
2. CLIP.EXE is in the same directory as EDITOR.EXE. There are no less than
four copies of MSVBVM60.DLL on the drive, one of them in
C:Windows\system32. My key calls look right: 46=NOJM2,.,c,l,i,p,w,c,Q2 and
so on. (I just use wc and wp.)
3. What am I missing. I must be reading something wrong. The .FRM files are
inserts for editions of U2 older than 117, right? Wrong?
ACTION: When I highlight text and copy (wc) it, I get the message *Clipped
XX bytes* and then the dreaded double cursor, a blinking underscore,
appears two lines below wherever I clip, and the blinking cursor persists
throughout the XY session. When I try to paste, I get two messages, one at
the point of insertion that flashes on the screen for a millisecond and
begins *Input error....* and another error message on the command line:
*Awaitfile C: Xy\CLIP.TXT:  Timeout in xx seconds.*
If someone would be kind enough to get me on the debugging trail, I'd
appreciate it.

Michael Norman