Multiple launches and deleting .TMP files

As Robert suggested, I tested whether opening multiple instances of Xy
would mean any deletion of Xy's overflow TMP files, given that STARTUP.INT
now begins (in my case):

BX d dr=c:\xy\xytmp\Q2 ;*;  establish where TMP files will be placed
BX dos/nv/x/z /c del c:\xy\xytmp\*.tmpQ2;*; use DOS to delete any existing (old) TMP files
I couldn't create trouble this way. I tried opening as many as 5 XyWrites
at once, each one trying to delete TMP files when it launched, and there
was no problem.
However, I sure found baffling behavior while watching the TMP files that
were created. First, it took me opening three 1.8 meg files to get the red
"X" and to show a TMP file in the directory I established for them. Okay,
maybe that's a good thing, but then, nothing I did would get it to show the
size of those TMP files as being other than 0 bytes. Or nothing *except*
one time, which I can't repeat, but I got it to save about 3000 bytes (not
Kilobytes, bytes). I seem to recall that that 3000-ish figure appeared
after I saved something in one of the Xys.
Maybe it just takes time with the file open, but I used to have lots of
cases of TMP files of hundreds of kilobytes lying around.
Another thing, you sure can crash not only Xy but your whole computer
(Win98) if you try to open FOUR 1.8 meg files! I'm talking "push the re-set
button on your box" level of crash.

Harry Binswanger
hb@xxxxxxxx