Re: USB gizmos

Harry Binswanger wrote:

> A first stab at it, trying to use Capture Port as LPT3 and adding that to
> settings.dfl didn't work, but maybe the driver I was trying to use is
> wrong. I'm using an HP PSC 2200 (a multipurpose printer that is only USB),
> and I got "printer error" when I tried it under W98 SE. If anyone gets Xy
> to print to a USB printer, please let us know.
>
> I can print to it with Xy over the LAN, but only if the printer is attached
> to a computer other than my own--come to think of it, I did use the driver
> for that that didn't work when I tried it just now. You'd think there'd be
> a way to fool the drivers into sending stuff to be printed over the network
> and then back here.

The "Capture Port" service you mentioned sounds like it might be the Win
equivalent of LPRMON in OS/2, which can intercept & redirect print jobs, even
though the app. (generally legacy, generally DOS) has no understanding of
network printing. It seems to me there could well be something similar for USB
print jobs, in either or both operating systems. I'm just not sure what it
might be or where to go looking for it. I had been using OS/2 for four years,
before I ever even heard of its LPRMON utility, which is right there in the
OS. Win (at least from NT on), has all kinds of built-in stuff you might never
hear about, unless some Win-guru told you, or you stumbled across it in the MS
Knowledgebase. If I had a quarter for every time I couldn't find something
discussed in the Win Help system . . . .  The topic might well even be in
there -- somewhere -- but finding it is another story.

Jordan