Re: Win95 settings

On Fri, 6 Aug 1999, Myron Gochnauer wrote:

> > > Does anyone have recommendations about Win95 settings for
> > > XyDOS 4.017 run either full-screen or in a window?
>
> > Tell me this: do you run XyWrite 4.017 from a DOS Window?
> > (I don't) or do you work from the desktop and simply click on "my
> > computer," and then c:\xy4\editor? Or, do you use a "shortcut to editor"
> > icon on your desktop?

It's actually possible to put an entry into your Registry that makes
XyWrite an option on the right-click mouse menu, just like Quick View,
Notepad, ACDSee, and so forth. Works like a charm.

> I have an icon on the desktop that is a shortcut to a batch file for
> XyWrite. How do I create separate autoexec and config.sys files
> for a DOS window or full screen session? [I'm not sure what "DOS
> mode" *is*.]  I remember doing that with OS/2, but I've never
> figured out which files Win95 uses for DOS programs run from the
> desktop. Autoexec.dos? Config.DOS?

Autoexec.bat and Config.sys apparently. I think the others are for
that faked DOS mode Windows offers you when you decide to shut it
down. The DOS files are read at startup, however, and stay
in memory as long as you're running Windows (including calling DOS
programs from within Windows). Note that Windows provides some functions
which DOS users normally have to specify, so Autoexec.bat and Config.sys
for a PC running Windows are generally much shorter than the counterpart
files in a DOS system.

> > Another question: do you always need to have the dictionary loaded?
> This problem is not an overall memory one but something specific
> to the dictionary. Even if I have only a one-line file loaded, I can't do
> a spell-check with the UK dictionary unless I've fiddled around with
> expanded memory or environment space or something. (The US
> dictionary is about 110K; UK is about 141K.)

Sounds to me like you're hitting the 640-K conventional memory wall.
Check your config.sys and autoexec.bat files to be sure you're loading
as much stuff as possible into High Memory.

  ms44278@xxxxxxxx
  Mike Shupp
  California State University, Northridge
  Graduate Student, Dept. of Anthropology