Re: Win95 settings

Myron Gochnauer wrote:

> > > Does anyone have recommendations about Win95 settings for
> > > XyDOS 4.017 run either full-screen or in a window?
>
> > Tell me this: do you run XyWrite 4.017 from a DOS Window?
> > (I don't) or do you work from the desktop and simply click on "my
> > computer," and then c:\xy4\editor? Or, do you use a "shortcut to editor"
> > icon on your desktop?
>
> > If the former, try the latter. If the latter, try running XyWrite in DOS
> > mode, and create separate autoexec.bat and config.sys files for that
> > purpose.
>
> I have an icon on the desktop that is a shortcut to a batch file for
> XyWrite.

What's in the batch file?

> How do I create separate autoexec and config.sys files
> for a DOS window or full screen session? [I'm not sure what "DOS
> mode" *is*.]  I remember doing that with OS/2, but I've never
> figured out which files Win95 uses for DOS programs run from the
> desktop. Autoexec.dos? Config.DOS?

Don't you have an autoexec.bat and config.sys in your c:\ directory? Or
possibly c:\windows\command?

Here's what I would do: bag the batch file. Just point it to
c:\xy4\editor.exe (or whatever directory you keep XyWrite in. See what
happens. If that fails, go back to the icon and do this:

Click on properties/program/advanced/click on dos.mode.

See what happens. If you're still having trouble return to that box and
this time click on the window in the dialogue box that invites you to
create a config.sys and/or an autoexec.bat file for this program.

I don't know what's in your regular autoexec.bat file but I suspect you
can copy it here w/o difficulty. For config.sys create all the memory
gobbletygook you told us about yesterday.

See what happens now.

> > Another question: do you always need to have the dictionary loaded?
> This problem is not an overall memory one but something specific
> to the dictionary. Even if I have only a one-line file loaded, I can't do
> a spell-check with the UK dictionary unless I've fiddled around with
> expanded memory or environment space or something. (The US
> dictionary is about 110K; UK is about 141K.)

And what happens when you load the US dictionary instead?

--

Leslie Bialler
Columbia University Press