Re: Printer help (again)

Michael Norman wrote:

> Just to remind some of us, Judith, what in the specs do we look for to make
> sure a printer is DOS compatible? Thanks

It wasn't all that long ago that they used to list DOS (along with Mac) among
the
possible System Requirements. But by this time, I don't know just how far &
wide you'd have to search to find a person on the street who could answer the
Jeapordy question, "What is DOS ?" You might have to call the Sales or Tech.
Dept. of the manufacturer. There are various tests you could run in the store,

provided you could find one that a) Had the printer connected and running, &
b) Would let you boot from a DOS diskette to run them. (Actually, a XyDOS
diskette might work just as well, but they might be reluctant to let you pop
*any*
diskette into their computer.

Otherwise, you'd have to get one that was known to be compatible. Which you'd
find out somewhere like here. This will often be an older model, bought used
or refurbished. Alternately, since one of the main points behind Winprinters
was cutting corners in manufacturing for extra cheapness, many top-of-the-line
or near t-o-l models are much less likely to be Winprinters.

Jordan