Re: Strange files...

** Reply to message from "M.W. Poirier"  on Fri, 06
Jan 2006 18:07:28 -0400 (EDT)

Originally, Maben, you wrote:

> I am seeing strange TMP files
> in my XY4 directory, file with names like VRZAKBBA.TMP,
> LIKOPTRB.TMP... But why are they
> not deleted when I close the file? Can I do something to
> cause them to be deleted. Right now, I am deleting them
> individually and manually.

I interpreted this to mean that they were surviving the QUITting of XyWrite.
If you are really saying that they continue after you close a file, but are
deleted when XyWrite QUITs, well... I don't understand your concern. As long
as they're gone when you close XyWrite, who cares! If you're deleting them
"individually and manually" while the same session that created them is still
running, I think that is extremely rash. Do you *know* 100% what their purpose
is or how XyWrite uses them, and when exactly XyWrite is "finished" with them?
I would NEVER mess with a temporary file created by any program while that
program is still running -- that's begging for trouble. And why bother anyway,
if XyWrite takes care of them automatically (deletes them) when it QUITs? Are
you afraid of running out of space on your drive or something? Not very likely
these days...

But if, on the other hand, you are deleting them AFTER XyWrite closes, then
some of them *are* surviving closure, which contradicts what I think you are
saying now -- that XyWrite deletes them automatically when it QUITs.

So what *are* you saying? I don't get it, either way.

Like Carl, I crash XyWrite very often, as a consequence of experimentation.
Maybe that's why so many TMP files pile up in my DR directory. Never bothered
to think about it, frankly. If I were you, I'd delete them and forget about it
-- unimportant.

Robert Holmgren
holmgren@xxxxxxxx