Re: Strange files...

Reply to note from Carl Distefano  Tue, 10 Jan 2006
21:06:09 -0500

> Based on that experience I believe it's still accurate to say
> that the .TMP files are not ALWAYS deleted upon QUITting; as to
> what determines whether or not they are deleted, I haven't a
> clue.

On further thought... it may simply be that .TMP files are left on
disk when XyWrite doesn't terminate normally -- when it crashes. I
crash it often enough while writing XPL; it never occurred to me to
connect with .TMP files with the crashes. But that's the only
logical explanation.

So -- to return your original point, Maben -- it appears that
Editor's cleanup procedure is indeed selective. It deletes only the
.TMP files that it creates, and no others. Files created by the
user, even if they have the .TMP extension, are left intact. A
sensible design -- and thanks, Maben, for pointing it out.

--
Carl Distefano
cld@xxxxxxxx