Keyboard Chatter

Okay, got a Filco Majestic 2 with Cherry Blue mechanical switches (same as
DasKeyboard). If you are a buckling spring long-time user and are looking to
lighten your touch, but still like the click of mechanical switches, it's a
nice unit. Solid, easily to adapt to, saves a lot of space on the desktop,
well-made peripheral. But...

Though my hands are getting a bit stiff from four years of pounding out
articles and books, it simply did not have the "feel" -- how else can I
describe it -- of my IBM Model M adapted to a ps/2 connection. I did not
take a micrometer to measure, but it's clear the key spacing on the IBM is a
bit wider, and there is just not enough resistance for my taste. It's all a
bit idiosyncratic, I know, but I've had this keyboard since the early 80's
and I guess my muscle memory is simply patterned to it. Again, the Filco is
a fine product, and I can see where a typist with a light touch would really
enjoy it. But those buckling springs just keep going and going. After I
packed the Filco to send it back, I took a key remover, went down to my
workbench, took the entire Model M keyboard apart, removed every key,
vacuumed and used canned air to clear between the switches (so much cat hair
I was ready to ban the beasts from my office), scrubbed the keys with 409
and a Scotchbrite pad, and, well, I have a "new" Model M.

Of course, since I'm getting ready to start on another manuscript, you can
also write all this up to superstition. I wrote my first book on a KayPro,
but everything else on this keyboard plugged into at least three different
computers.

Michael Norman