Re: openoffice & xywrite?

** Reply to message from Harmon Seaver  on
Sat, 11 Aug 2007 01:09:59 -0500

Hi Harmon. Welcome back. I think you're just going to get
obvious answers to your interoperability question. Obviously,
you're going to have to use an intermediate file format, to get
from XyWrite (or NBWin) to openoffice (the NB Word filter is
acceptable, but I would use PostScript, because you can write
your own filter for that natively in XyWrite -- if you know PS).

However, there IS one direct method, and that's copy & paste.
Don't laugh! Speaking for myself, what's attractive to me about
XyWrite is that there virtually isn't any formatting (and darn
little bloat when you do format, unlike XML), or rather
formatting can be added later by a formatter (a.k.a. another
word processor) -- I just use XyWrite to compose _words_, and to
the (VERY limited!) extent that I need to create visual effects,
the character set itself supplies most of what I need (e.g.
spacebar, tab key, etc).

So, even if you're a formatting nut, why not just avoid it
entirely in XyWrite, and do all that in your final oo touch-up?
No more problem. I mean, how much finished writing are you
gonna do on a laptop battery, anyway?

If you're interested, here's a schema for pasting from XyWrite:
 -- Use XPL to write DeFined text (or whole file) to a disk file
 -- Use Perl (or whatever) to read the file and put it on the
Linux clipboard

The disk file that you write with XPL could either be a simple
copy of the text source, or you could use XyWrite to wrap the
source in a .pl script that would run hands-off next time you
boot Linux.

Good luck.

Robert Holmgren
holmgren@xxxxxxxx