Re: OpSys Options

--- Patricia M Godfrey  wrote:

> OS/2-- Robert
> Holmgren told me that if I
> got a second-hand original OS/2 (the only way I
> could afford it), I'd
> have to add a ton of upgrades, patches, and tweaks,
> so I decided it
> wasn't worth it.

Can't really argue with that. The CDs would be cheap
on Ebay, but applying all the fixes & updates would be
quite a journey -- time, effort, and labor intensive.
You'd have to track a number of them down, and read
through many pages of docs . . . maybe ask a lot of
questions online. There is a freeware program toolkit
for making a *new* install CD from an already
well-updated system (my own Warp 4 partition
definitely *isn't*; in fact, it's quite a few years
behind the times). That would bypass most of this
adventure, but to take advantage of this you'd have to
find someone who had already made such an updated
install CD, *and* whose hardware configuration was
substantially similar to yours. All in all, kind of a
tall order.

That is why the practical and straightforward method
for doing this is to get current issue EcomStation
instead. But that isn't cheap. It has the latest
everything, and the hardware detection to get it there
during installation.

Jordan