Re: XPL FUNCTIONS

I found today that David Auerbach wrote yesterday: "[ ... I]t struck me [ ...
] that the XPL program with all the CI commands in it was a
little primitive and hence subject to the "multi-pass" criticism.
But that was a criticism of the programmer and not of XPL which
permits doing all that in one pass; it does after all have the
`contained in' operator. [ ... other patronizing advice clipped ]

I should have known that ignoring Chet Gottfried's repeated
gratuitous condescension to me was to let myself be set up as a
sitting target. Don't be shy, David. As the subscriber you flamed
identifiably if not by name for posting that draft code fragment
(to illustrate one point in a reply touching on many topics), I
invite you to share your refined xpl solution that accomplishes
*precisely the same goal, using the string operator, in a single
pass*--and further to follow Carl's lead when he offered code
that accomplishes a related goal, showing how you would do so in
v3 and v4, for nowhere is it written that the xylist is
restricted to users of v4. Or apologize.    --Annie

========================== annie fisher  nyc