Re: XPL FUNCTIONS

I haven't been follow this thread *very* closely, but it struck me, as
I quickly scanned it, that the XPL program with all the CI
commands in it was a little primitive and hence subject to the
"multi-pass" criticism. But that was a criticism of the
programmer and not of XPL which permits doing all that in one
pass; it does after all have the
"contained in" operator.  It is all right to write quick and
dirty XPL for one's own use, neglecting to test for and save for
restoration various default settings and so on--I do it a lot.
But for public consumption one should look to Holmgren and
Distefano for models of clever and stable programming. One also
learns a lot.  One also learns to the advantages of 4 over III+.

David Auerbach
auerbach@xxxxxxxx
Department of Philosophy & Religion
NCSU  Box 8103