Re: PSEUDOCODE & OTHE

William H. Terbrake:

I agree that the NB method for sending files (zip, then
XX-encode) is a good way for posting binary files. Since the
XYWRITE list has a broader range of subscribers, and we can't demand that people have a
XX-encoding program or even know how to use it, we

a. post text files uncompressed so that they can be downloaded
from the list server with a simple GET command. FTP is
unnecessary.

b. post binary files in ZIP form in the CCAT FTP site for downloading via FTP.

The welcome message, also available from the list server (send
the message INDEX to LSTSRV@xxxxxxxx for a list of text
files, incl. that one), gives the particulars.

If someone just wants to send a binary file to everyone on the
list, without posting it for later access, your method is ideal.

-- Nathan Sivin
History and Sociology of Science
University of Pennsylvania
Philadelphia PA 19104-3325