AR FUNCTION

NS-> Nathan Sivin:

NS-> Since a number of subscribers may be interested in using v. 4 with the
 -> v. 3 keyboard, would you be willing to make your keyboard (presumably
 -> customized for the purpose) available for downloading?

Nathan,

After installing and starting Xy 4, I looked at the screen colors
and cursed. Then my cursor accelerated to about a million miles
an hour, and I thought, "Oh no, I have to start looking up the
basic defaults again." Then none of the key commands matched the
ones I knew. So I asked myself, "Why bother?" and stuck in all my
old files. True, my startup.int beeped a number of times, so I
deleted the lines that caused error messages.

I missed the SD function for the save-get list, so I wrote that
little frame to get the list back. Xy 4 provides many pleasant
alternatives.

Now everything works fine. All my programs (with the exception of
those that use help frame 5) work (thus far). It's great.

I coded a 950+K file in 12 minutes via an XPL (the text file grew
in size to over 1200K by the time the program was over).
But 99% of my work was done. Super. For me, Xy 4 paid for itself
by that one aspect.

You're welcome to my keyboard file (as soon as I finish the two
projects I'm supposed to be doing rather than writing this), but
(1) someone else should check it out first and (2) it will be as
frustrating to another user as the Xy 4 keyboard is, because my
keyboard is not documented (except for an outdated chart that I
have) and it's not what a Xy 3 user would be comfortable with. A
Xy 3 user would be the most comfortable with her or her own file.

I'd recommend anyone upgrading to do the full install, but move
the Xy 4 settings.dfl, startup.int, and the DLG files to another
directory and stick in his or her own keyboard, display, and
startup.int. That would be my view of an easy upgrade. Of course,
some work would have to be done about the printer file (I haven't
printed from Xy in years though I'm beginning to from Xywin).

--Chet
---
 ? SLMR 2.1a ? Art + write + dtp = chet.gottfried@xxxxxxxx