Brother laser (semi-O.T. ?)

My 10 year old HP fax machine (in its time, a top of the line model) finally went to that Office
Depot in the sky. For reasons I won't go into here, I'm seriously considering replacing it with a
*good* "All-in-One" multi-function unit. Nowadays, a lot less money can buy you a whole
lot more functionality than in the days when I bought that fax-only unit. Anyway, I already had
printing pretty well covered, so the replacement's use as a printer is apt to be no more than a
third-place priority. (But you never know . . . . ) That said, I was wondering if any of you have
experience or comments re the use of Brother (B&W) lasers -- specifically models from 2006 to
the present -- for printing with Xy4 ? I believe that most of them do PCL6. I've been narrowing
the best choices down to either a couple of the Brother AIO models, vs. a newer Canon mono laser AIO
that has much less in the way of features but probably a much better build quality. One of the
 Brother models that is still being sold is probably the last hurrah for the multiple-interface
options, *including* Parallel port, as well as USB _or_ wired ethernet _or_ wireless networking.

Even in future situations where I might have to use one of the more elaborate workarounds, I always
still want to know where things stand in regard to our native printer files.

 Jordan