Re: Brother laser (semi-O.T. ?)

J R FOX wrote:
I was wondering if any of you have experience or comments re the use of Brother (B&W) lasers
Not lasers, but I had a perfectly maddening experience some years
back with a Brother inkjet multifunction. And at the office with
Brother thermal faxes. The problem with the MFC was that it would
periodically corrupt its own drivers (to be fair, this was under
98SE, and we al know how buggy that opsys was), and have to be
reinstalled. BUT going through the usual Uninstall
software-Uninstall Hardware routines wasn't enough; the Scanner
software and it's connected app, in particular, had to be pruned
from the registry by hand. (several hundred references). After
doing this two or three times, I decided my time was worth the
cost of a new printer, got an Epson, and kept the Brother as a
stand-alone fax and copier. IT did yeoman service in that
capacity for several years, then finally died.
Meanwhile, at the office, we had several Brother thermal faxes in
succession. The problem with them was--and is--that it is
absolutely impossible to reach even automated tech support. You
wade through voice mail hell forever. FWIW.
--
Patricia M. Godfrey
priscamg@xxxxxxxx