Re: conversion from XyWrite to word

sacksa@xxxxxxxx wrote:
I want to thank eveyone who has taken the time to write in on this. To
be particularly clear, we use XyWrite ver. 3.58b and I need to be able
to convert in both directions (from Word to XY and from XY to Word).
Solutions that require XyWrite ver. 4.0+ won't work and solutions that
require a change to the registry files (like the Jumbo U2) also won't
work as I can't do anything that might "muck up the system."

--
Avi
Avram Sacks
Please read the page referred by Lisa Kleinholz. I quote the preliminary
remark:
The W4W filters packaged with Xy4-DOS may be used in standalone fashion,
executed from DOS. XyWrite 4 need not be loaded or used. The original
1992-vintage filters used to be downloadable from the dial-in TTG
Bulletin Board System, but TTG went out of business in September 2001.
Until 2000, a selection of more recent (circa 1996) filters was
available from an Hungarian institutional server, but those links are
now dead (many users have them all, however). Almost all of these
filters, both original and “Hungarian”, are presently available from
www.xywrite.com. The filters work equally well with XyWrite 3(+),
XyWrite 4 for DOS, or XyWin; NBWin works also, but high-order characters
(>127) translate incorrectly, because NBWin uses Codepage 1252 (ANSI)
whereas XyWrite uses CodePages 437 (US-Ascii) and 850 (Latin 1).
A powerful reason to use the standalone DOS-only method of conversion is
that there is often not enough memory available to DOS to perform
conversions when XyWrite is loaded in the same DOS session. The “Save
As” method of exporting text to other formats, using XyWrite's internal
Menus, is fundamentally unreliable and should NOT be used.
Moveover, when using the DOS-only method of conversion, described below,
do not shell from XyWrite to DOS. Instead, open a fresh DOS session (if
you are using true MS-DOS, then you must close XyWrite first, to
liberate the memory it is using; in other operating systems, all you
need to do is open a fresh new DOS session from the Desktop).

End of quote.
Best regards,
Manuel Castelao