Re: How to set a path in Win2K?

** Reply to message from "Andrew J Glass"  on Mon,
19 Feb 2001 18:31:13 -0500

Andy, you can use REGEDIT to modify the environment via the registry,
e.g. modify the PATH, *if* you're comfortable about playing with the
Registry. (Following info is based on WinNT v4 SP6a, so caveat W2K
user!) Registry Keys (pick *one only*):
My Computer\HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Environment
My
Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session
Manager\Environment

One or both of these should indicate a PATH spec. (If the exact
registry locations mentioned above don't exist in W2K, then try to
Find "Environment" among your existing keys.) Add your XyWrite
directory as follows: Suppose DICT.SPL is in G:\XY4. Modify the
"Path" key to add ";G:\XY4;" at the end -- note the trailing ";".
Then reboot.

Actually, Andy, modifying AUTOEXEC.NT ought to work too -- and maybe
that's the safer course, unless you're familiar with modifying the
Registry (you can really screw NT up royally and terminally if you
fuck up). What/How exactly are you "editing" in AUTOEXEC.NT? The
proper syntax for adding a dir via AUTOEXEC to the PATH (*already
established* by the Registry!) is:
SET PATH=%PATH%;G:\XY4;
Then reboot. The "%PATH%" bit acknowledges that there already is a
PATH established in the Registry (already loaded by the time NT gets
around to reading AUTOEXEC.NT); thus your "G:\XY4" (or whatever it
actually is) gets *added* to the pre-existing PATH. Let me know your
result, and good luck.

> Could somebody kindly inform me how to set a path in Windows 2000
> Professional so that Xywrite IV can find dict.spl in its install
> directory? I've tried a batch file loader and editing
> system32/autoexec.nt, both to no avail. Other than this problem and a
> key repeat issue that also existed in NT, it's working pretty smoothly.

1

Robert Holmgren
holmgren@xxxxxxxx