Re: U2 glitches

Carl Distefano  wrote:

> Reply to note from Judith Davidsen  Tue, 13
> Jun 2000 19:21:04 -0400
>
> -> I usually launch Xywrite from the windows run box using
> -> c:\xy4\editor.exe. Same thing on the occasions I launch from a
> -> dos prompt. No switches.
>
> No, no, that won't do. Could some kindly soul jump in and explain
> to Judith how to create a shortcut to XyWrite on the Win98 desktop?

I emphatically second Carl's advice. Create a shortcut for XyWrite
and then modify the Properties for that shortcut.

I'm also somewhat at a disadvantage, since I use the Japanese version
of Windows 98. Therefore my English rendering of menu options and
such may be slightly off, but the general procedure is the same. Here's
how to do it.

 Open Explorer
 Navigate to the subdirectory that has XyWrite in it
 Right-click on EDITOR.EXE
 Select "Create Shortcut"
 A shortcut named "Shortcut to Editor.exe" will be created in the
 same directory (you can rename that shortcut to anything you like;
 just "Xy" for example will do fine)
 Drag that shortcut to the desktop

That's it. You now have a shortcut (still using the MS-DOS icon)
sitting on your desktop and are ready for further customization.

 Right-click on the icon
 Select "Properties"
 Select "Program"
 Select "Run" and set to "Maximized"
 Check "Close on Exit"
 Select "Change Icon" and choose whatever you fancy
 Select "Shortcut key" and choose a key combination that will let you
 start (or jump to) XyWrite without a mouse
 Next, select the "Memory" tab
 Make sure everything there is set to "Auto" (that's what works for
 me; if you have problems, follow the recommendations given on this
 list to change some of the memory settings)
 Select the "Screen" tab and check "Full screen" (if you wish XyWrite to
 run in a full-screen DOS window)
 Make sure that both "Fast ROM emulation" and "Dynamic memory
 allocation" are checked
 Click on the "Misc" tab
 In the "Windows shortcut keys" field, uncheck all key combinations
 you want to use within XyWrite
 Check "Always suspend" if you don't want XyWrite to keep running in
 the background while you do other things in Windows (normally
 preferred)
 Make sure that "Warn if still active" is checked in the
 "Termination" field.

That's about it. With this setup under Windows 98/J (on an old
Pentium 166 with 64 MB), I run XyWrite for many hours every day, and
very rarely experience any glitches or crashes. Of course, your
mileage may vary.

[Actually, I start XyWrite not using a shortcut to EDITOR.EXE but using
a shortcut to a batch file that does various things before starting
XyWrite, such as loading a more pleasing DOS color palette, but the
principle is the same.]

Wolfgang Bechstein
wolfie@xxxxxxxx