XX-ratings

Annie says:
-> XXBUG creates debug scripts. I don't wish to belabor this,
-> so will note one last time that when MS DOS debug is executed
-> on a non-MS system (like mine) it displays a msg stating
-> that debug requires MS DOS to run. I would assume that PC DOS
-> debug similarly shuns non-PC DOS systems (like mine).

Annie, I certainly have no predilection for XXBUG, especially if
it doesn't work universally. I'm a little unclear from your
post, though, as to what exactly *would* work on your system.
What I've been using in my posts is:

UX.EXE UU/XX Encoder/Decoder for OS/2
Version 1; July 1993
Documentation updated January 1995
(C) Copyright Greg Swanson 1993

I had assumed that XX-coding based on the standard code table and
lookup procedure and was not OS-sensitive and would decode
properly across platforms. Now I'm not so sure. Are you able to
read my XXencoded messages? If not, can you (or anyone) suggest
a standard utility that we could all agree on for this list?

This is the sort of issue we should all think through once, land
on a solution (ideally, one that works for everybody), and be
done with it. It's frustrating and unsettling not to be able to
easily "talk XyWrite" with everyone on the list.

Carl Distefano
70154.3452@xxxxxxxx