Re: Useful Utility

Michael,

Can you keep us (or me privately) informed on this? I'd appreciate it, as
I'm troubled by the inability to boot my computer, when it's fouled up,
into DOS in order to work on repairing things.

E.g., can you burn a CD from which a computer that can't boot up into
Windows XP (not even in Safe Mode) can at least boot to DOS?

Thanks,
Harry

A while back, Robert introduced this list to ERUNT, the XP registry backup utility, and not long ago I used it to recover from a registry I'd fouled up, a mistake that prevented XP from booting. I'd made a BartPe Win boot CD, a windows pre-environment disk, that allowed me to "run" ERDNT, an executable and the recovery part of ERUNT. But I wondered: was there a way to run ERDNT from a DOS boot CD. I learned, quickly, that one can't "see" an NTFS volume from DOS. Then, casting around, I found http://www.bootdisk.com/ntfs.htm. The ISO costs $4 and the utility works (there's also a free version if you're more industrious). Now I can read, copy, delete and run files on my NTFS drive from a DOS boot. As a caveat I should add that I've only made the simplest of tests, but it looks promising. Michael Norman
Harry Binswanger hb@xxxxxxxx