Useful Utility

A while back, Robert introduced this list to ERUNT, the XP registry
backup utility, and not long ago I used it to recover from a registry
I'd fouled up, a mistake that prevented XP from booting. I'd made a
BartPe Win boot CD, a windows pre-environment disk, that allowed me
to "run" ERDNT, an executable and the recovery part of ERUNT. But I
wondered: was there a way to run ERDNT from a DOS boot CD. I learned,
quickly, that one can't "see" an NTFS volume from DOS. Then, casting
around, I found http://www.bootdisk.com/ntfs.htm. The ISO costs $4
and the utility works (there's also a free version if you're more
industrious). Now I can read, copy, delete and run files on my NTFS
drive from a DOS boot. As a caveat I should add that I've only made
the simplest of tests, but it looks promising.

Michael Norman