Re: FILEMENU.PM

Reply to note from Peregrine@xxxxxxxx Sat, 20 Jan 2001 13:09:52 EST

-> One problem I have noted is that I cannot exceed nine files in
-> my menu list. If I do, it locks up.

Not so here. I've tested it on a menu of over 300 files and it
works as advertised.

What method are you using to open a file? Cursor-down-and-hit-
Enter, or Select-by-number? If the latter, remember that when the
menu has more than 9 files, you've got to hit Enter to select the
file. The PRompt in the latest version says that explicitly.

It's a design issue. If there are 9 or fewer files, the program can
assume that the selected digit corresponds to one of those files.
But as soon as the number of files goes to two digits, it's no
longer safe to assume that a one-digit keypress represents a
complete selection. That's why you have to press Enter -- to confirm
that whatever number you've typed really is your selection.

I could, if you wanted, build a little more context-sensitivity into
the process. So, for example, if a menu had more than 9 but fewer
than 100 files, the program could be instructed to make any two-
digit keypress take immediate effect, and so on. And if your menu
listed 76 files, then a first keypress of 8 could take effect
immediately (because, in this context, it could "safely" be assumed
that you didn't intend to enter a two-digit number starting with a
number higher than 7.) The infrastructure to do that sort of thing
is already there, and implementing it would be no big deal.

That kind of interface is slick and snappy, but less forgiving of
typing errors than the present design, which allows you to backspace
over errors and correct them before hitting Enter. I tend to favor
that approach here, because there's no limit on menu size and it's
so easy to slip when inputting numbers.

If FILEMENU.PM really is locking up on you with menus longer than 9
files, I certainly want to hear about it -- but probably better to
run it down off-list.

--
Carl Distefano
cld@xxxxxxxx