Re: Books on writing?

Frank Brownlow wrote:
I think 1972 was the significant one. In that edition, as I recall, the brought-in editor's name was given. Perhaps in 1979 they went back to Strunk-White original.
Except that my 3d ed. contains an acknowledgment, by White, of
help from "Elaine Gould Packard in the preparation of the second
edition." What I suspect is that some other publisher got rights
to republish and did its own revision. That kind of thing happens.
E.B.White's contribution was a genial essay on writing, he--I
think--this is all from memory--having been taught by Strunk at Cornell.

Yes, that's what my ed. says. The title page reads thus (centered):
The
Elements
of
Style
by
William Strunk Jr.
With Revisions, an Introduction,
and a Chapter on Writing
by
E. B. White
Third Edition
The introduction, according to the copyright page, originally appeared, in slightly different form, in the _New Yorker_.

--
Patricia M. Godfrey
PriscaMG@xxxxxxxx