Re: Books on writing?

I think 1972 was the significant one. In that edition, as I recall, the
brought-in editor's name was given. Perhaps in 1979 they went back to
Strunk-White original.
E.B.White's contribution was a genial essay on writing, he--I
think--this is all from memory--having been taught by Strunk at Cornell.
The 1972 editor had no qualms about changing his words. I suppose what
happened is that the publisher wanted a new edition to generate more
revenue, and asked White to revise his piece. White told them to get
lost, so they did what text-book publishers do in those circumstances:
hired themselves an editor.

The whole story of Mr. Strunk's little textbook and its reincarnations
is probably interesting.

Frank Brownlow

Patricia M. Godfrey wrote:
Frank Brownlow wrote:
If you want Strunk & White--I think the title is "The Elements of style"--you have to buy a pre-1970 or so copy. That was about when, in the manner of text-book publishers, the owners of the copyright brought in a run-of-the-mill freshman English teacher to revise the book who, like most such people, hadn't the first notion of real writing, and wrecked it.
Very interesting. My copy is c. 1979, Macmillan, 3d ed., but the only
names acknowledged to have contributed are Strunk himself and E. B.
White. According the the copyright page, the earlier eds. were 1935
(itself a "rev. ed.", of what unspecified), 1959, and 1972. White had
no hand in the 1935 ed., which was Strunk, rev. by Edward A. Tenney.