Re: fonts and kbds

Robert Holmgren wrote:

> As a practical matter, what you'd be losing (if you revert to, or try to
> recreate, Xy3 -- which is eminently do-able) is the experience of the new
> features in Xy4. There are _many_. Xy4 is much richer. But that's
> distinct from trying to maintain some continuity in the keystroke location
> of habitual features or actions -- the main purpose of installing a
> "3+ style" (as opposed to CUA) keyboard. You really shouldn't swap in your
> old .KBD file grosso modo. Compare and check the files out line by line.
> Spend some time.

I couldn't agree more. IMHO, the best way to proceed is to have a list
of function calls in front of you, and tweak the keyboard file until you
have a configuration you feel comfortable with.

My "trick," if I may be grandiose enough to use that word for so simple
a thing, is to have, in alternate windows, cup.kbd and cupkbd.bak, and
cut and paste mappings from one to another--the idea being, of course,
to map them to a key I will _remember_! ;-)

I consider my keyboard file as a "work in progress" always. I freely
confess that I _still_ use F1 to begin and end defines.

--
Leslie Bialler
Columbia University Press