R: Conditional in config.sys

"Ciao. --a":
>And speaking of win9x and dos, can anyone give me
>the MSDOS config.sys syntax for a conditional?
>DR-DOS conditional syntax doesn't work and MSDOS 3
>(the last MSDOS I used before reinstalling win95
>recently) documentation doesn't cover the issue.

I don't think that Config.Sys have conditional commands, in the way we know
them (IF...); however it is possible to define different blocks to be
executed. In this case, at boot you are requested to select which block you
want be executed. An example follows.
This works in Dos version 6 and following.

 [menu]
 menuitem=standard
 menuitem=SyQuest

Explanation of the above. At boot time Dos asks you which block execute,
i.e. standard or syquest

 [common]
 DEVICE=C:\DOS\himem.sys
 DEVICE=C:\DOS\EMM386.EXE NOEMS

The above lines are the lines that should be executed no matter of what you
selected, standard or syquest.

 [SyQuest]
 DEVICEHIGH =\SCSI3\ASPI2DOS.SYS /D
 DEVICEHIGH =\SCSI3\ASPIDISK.SYS

The above load the drivers to drive SCSI removable disks

 [standard]
 [common]
 DEVICEHIGH =C:\WINDOWS\COMMAND\DISPLAY.SYS CON=(EGA,,1)
 country=039,850,c:\windows\command\country.sys
 stacks=9,256

The above are both for standard and syquest, i.e. common to both.

Note that the environment variable "config" is created, to which is assigned
the name of the block executed (in the above example, "standard" or
"syquest"), so in the autoexec.bat you can jump to a specific label
inserting "goto %config%" were appropriate.
I hope all is clear and is satisfying your needs.

Ciao
Adriano Ortile
ortile@xxxxxxxx