Re: DOS emulator

** Reply to message from Paul Breeze  on Sat, 18
Jan 2003 00:21:08 GMT

What about Bochs? It's really good, and runs most any OpSys as a child -- even
runs M$Word and WPerfect, which is saying something for the quality of the
thing. I've never compiled it for DOS, though (OS/2 does such a good job of
emulating DOS, and if that's not adequate, you can *easily* run real DOS, any
flavor, as a child under OS/2). I tried Dosbox a few months ago, and thought
it was very "unaware" of the environment. Couldn't read a CD-ROM, for example.
Maybe they've improved it further. Anyway, it's intended to be run full
screen, isn't it? -- its for old VGA/VESA/CGA games and the like, and also it
only works under Windows, IIRC. I had to slow down the CPU with moslo to get
it to work even reasonably. Largely sealed off from the underlying OpSys,
which is a pretty high price for smooth cursor action or whatever. Bochs has
been developed for a long time.

Robert Holmgren
holmgren@xxxxxxxx