Re: We should [NOT] move en masse to Nota Bene > (sorry Anne!)

Mendelson was what sent me to DOSBox in the first place. I've posted to the list about my
experiences with it over the past months. Maybe DOSBox is better for WordPerfect.

But with XY4, DOSBox allows only two windows at a time. Carl's CLIP.EXE doesn't work (though there's
a DOSBox-related program that allows importing the Windows clipboard, there's no export from XY).
And the size of a windowed XY is much less flexible than in XP Mode. The type seems brighter in XP
Mode than it was in DOSBox, which could be an illusion since I have it larger, but it is also,
definitely, clearer.

XP Mode isn't perfect either. In order to, for instance, email the file from Win7, you have to save
the file outside the virtual C: drive on to \\tsclient\c: --which, if I understand correctly, is the
Win7 host computer, perceived by virtual XP as a networked drive. (Or, using Clip.exe, you can
define and export the text to a Notepad file.)

XY4 in XP Mode also intermittently hesitates--usually when I'm backspace deleting, but maybe that's
just because I do a lot of that. And using Clip.exe to paste from Windows into XY anywhere but near
the top of the file crashes XY--though Carl has given me a workaround I still need to try.

For me, XP Mode beats DOSBox easily. Maybe it's Micro$oft's last benevolent act of backwards
compatibility.

Jon Pareles