Re: Staying with XP after April 8 2014 (was Win 7 vs Win 8)

I have never (on a laptop) been able to get XyWrite to run full
screen. I just tried invoking full screen mode in XyWrite running as
an independent Win 8.1 window in VMware's Unity mode. Nothing
crashed, but the result wasn't pretty. I've seen enough to see that
it might be possible to figure out a way to make it work, but because
I have always been happy with Windowed XyWrite since Windows 3, I'm
not going to investigate further. Is it possible, I wonder, to use
the Lucida Console font with XyWrite in full screen mode? I would
guess not. And I love that font!
My current setup is a Dell XPS 15 laptop with a 15-inch screen with
3200x1800 resolution. XyWrite is set up to occupy a window nearly the
entire height of the screen and about half the width. I have used it
at 43 lines for years comfortably, and with this system, that means a
font size of 34 points. The result is extremely smooth letters on
screen, taking full advantage of the screen's high resolution. Now
consider that Adobe InDesign doesn't yet know how to run on a HiDpi
monitor or laptop; so Windows doubles the pixels as there isn't any
other way to run the program. Given that, it's pretty amazing I can
automatically get XyWrite to take advantage of the this screen's
entire resolution capabilities. Indeed, at this resolution, even
those ghastly Speedo fonts might look good. Mercifully, I've
forgotten how to get into graphics mode.