new to Tame

OK. Without knowing what I'm doing, without reading much here, I installed
Tame, and did the Registry thingummy attached to one of the messages here.
The first time I opened a file in XyWrite, I got little boxes instead of
carriage returns. OK. Closed the file; opened it, everything's OK. BUT -- I
can't use session restore all of a sudden. I get little boxes in the
dialogue box, and nothing works except to exit the dialogue. What am I
doing wrong?