Re: Please use an indicative subject line

Robert, is there any chance you had a past life during the French
Revolution? FW.

On 6/23/06, Robert Holmgren  wrote:
** Reply to message from "Patricia M. Godfrey"  on Thu, 22
Jun 2006 18:41:08 -0400

> Also recall that Robert's archival search routine is
> using these headings, IRRC, to track threads.

IRRC? If Robert Remembers Correctly? Yes, threads are important. But you can
change the Subject line at will and remain "in thread", because all that
matters is that you specifically "Reply To" a preceding message. Every Emailer
encodes the msg ID[s] of the message[s] to which it is "Replying", and these
are sent as part of the reply's "header" (take a look sometime). It is message
IDs, never(!) the words in a Subject line, that create threads! You _break_ a
thread (actually, start a new thread) when you compose a fresh message and do
not "Reply" -- even if the Subject line is identical to that of an old thread.

Mr. Woolley's impatience is understandable, especially if one reads this list
casually. But as one who reads every msg (almost), I find subject drift rather
amusing at times. (I like order -- but I also like disorder. And in this
frighteningly control-addicted society, if there's one thing I truly despise,
it's being told what to do.)

Robert Holmgren
holmgren@xxxxxxxx