Re: Porting DLG funcs $0-$9|$A-$Z to U2

Re Sig+ xpl
	 AS >BX ca Q2 ;*;
vs xyW3
	AS BC ed XC
to open a file listed in a dir in an adjacent window ...

	Now that you mention it, I recall wrestling
	with this when Signature was new. [... T]he
	point-and-shoot CAll (or EDit) command failed
	in XPL, even though it worked when issued
	manually from the CMline. Yet, as I sit here
	today using XyDOS v4.018, BC caXC (or the
	equivalent BC edXC ) works fine. [...]
	But  is still preferable, because
	it doesn't repaint the CMline. The more
	you acclimate to v4+ programming, the more
	you'll find that avoiding the command line
	(favoring BX ... Q2 over BC ... XC) becomes
	second nature. 				--Carl

Hmmm. In the event you're addressing me, not a
collective you, I'll say that once I committed to
porting !BetterThanAverageTaggingTool, several weeks'
deep immersion in U2 xpl became a necessity since
I also had to port my xyW3 xpl interface in order
to use nbWin and xyWin. BX ... Q2 were second nature
to the degree that it never even occurred to me to
use BC ed XC to detour the AS /open-file-at-cursor
roadblock. Despite a >128k U2, absent another
stimulus as insistent as porting the Web assistant
I don't plan to acclimate further to Sig+.

	The advantages--speed, preservation of
	the last manual command, maintenance of the
	cursor position (whether in text or on the
	command header), and visually clean execution
	--are compelling.

Given a reason to preserve the string that was on
the CMline and maintain the cursor position whether
in text or on the command header, with the xyWrite 3
!xyWise xpl overlay loaded, one would code
	AS &C ed XC {pv110}
confident that !xyWise func BC substitute &C
is free of BX's temperamental proclivities.
(In a kbd file, $P instead of {pv110} retrieves
the old CMline string.) Other global code restores
the TI state in effect when func &C was invoked--
usually undesirable midrun. XyWrite 3 doesn't move
its lips while it reads; unless you use a certified
antique PC, xpl speed isn't an issue. xyW3 runs
code in a blink that I watch xyWin and nbWin labor
through instruction by instruction, notwithstanding
some nifty {va$__}s and all BX ... Q2s (pfun'd
in xyW3 as CG ... Q2). ... Ciao. 		--annie

	xyWin+nbWin+xyW3 !xyWWWiz Web assistants +
	xyWrite 3 supplements !xyWise and !xyWiz +
	Wolfgang Bechstein's seafaring adventures: