Re: Porting DLG funcs $0-$9|$A-$Z to U2

Reply to note from  Tue, 28 Aug 2001 14:34:51 -
0400 (EDT)

> ...one would code
> 	AS &C ed XC {pv110}
> confident that !xyWise func BC substitute &C is free of BX's
> temperamental proclivities.

What temperamental proclivities are those? Examples?

> XyWrite 3 doesn't move its lips while it reads; unless you use
> a certified antique PC, xpl speed isn't an issue. xyW3 runs
> code in a blink that I watch xyWin and nbWin labor through
> instruction by instruction, notwithstanding some nifty
> {va$__}s and all BX ... Q2s ...

All too true, but the speed issue isn't v3 vs. v4+ (if that's what
you were implying), it's DOS vs. Windows, and particularly marked in
routines that repeatedly repaint the screen (e.g., with looping CI
commands). As Robert and I demonstrated several years ago (and as
you can see for yourself by running the Jumbo U2's TLOOPS using
various display-type arguments), screen-repainting routines in XyWin
(and no doubt also NBWin) are relatively fleet in graphical views
but painfully slow in eXPanded view; whereas in Xy4 the most
responsive display type, hands down, is eXPanded view. It's
something to keep in mind when writing XPL for the Windows
environment.

--
Carl Distefano
cld@xxxxxxxx