Re: Ansified XyWrite (Att. R. Holmgren)

I would like to emphasize that Ansifed XyWrite (thanks to the Ansi2XY
frame) is perfectly compatible with standard XyWrite. Via Ansi2XY you
can have your files back to standard XyWrite at every moment. The only
procedure that requires external programs is converting traditional
XyWrite files to Ansi, but it's possible to do that using different
programs (I'm using Ventura5, for example, but WordPerfect or similar
programs could do the task).
Ansified XyWrite enhances the capabilities of XyWrite as a general
purpose wordprocessor (as Robert Holmgrent pointed out in his very
explicit message on this question).
To whom it may be of interest, I'll explain why this feature is so
interesting for me. I have been writing in XyWrite for years and I can't
imagine using a different editor. But, to obtain the most professional
presentation for my documents, desktop publishing programs are
unbeatable (the kind of typographical control you obtain with these
programs is out of reach for wordprocessors).
So, I have been using Ventura in combination with XyWrite all these
years. Ventura practically doesn't touch the source files and then I can
continously reedit my files in XyWrite without struggling with the usual
very time consuming import/export process. But his harmony was broken
with Ventura8, a powerful version but lacking in this respect: it only
lets me manage my files transparently if I use RTF, ANSI or ASCII
formats. RTF or ASCII caused me a lot of markup trouble. ANSI, however,
permits me very manageable files in Ansified XyWrite.
Obviously, I am always managing footnotes and things like that through
Ventura markup, although it's possible to build XyWrite macros to come
and go from a markup to the other (benefiting from XyWrite styles). But
I'm used to Ventura markup and it's unnecessary for me.
By the way: in the area of conversion to the infamous Word, I have
tested a procedure based on my own way of doing things. All my
paragraphs (except body text, of course) are labeled. Then it's possible
to build in Word (and probably, other wordprocessors) a template with
equivalent of my XyWrite/Ventura styles. Then, you can import ANSI (or
even ASCII) text produced by XyWrite and then, in Word (after loading
that template), to search and replace labeled paragraphs with Word
styles. So, I can provide Word files to whoever needs them
(unfortunately, a lot of people).
Excuse this long explanation. Maybe it could be useful for somebody on
our list.
Best regards,
Manuel Castelao