PostGhost PRN Files (and PDFs of the output)

Attached, new versions of POSTGHST.PRN (for Xy4) and 3POSTGST.PRN (for Xy3+),
as well as PDFs indicating the output of the various included typefaces
(created with U2's Xy2PDF, of course). Please substitute these files for any
PRNs you are currently using for the PostGhost facility.

I decided to take a different tack concerning CodePages. I implemented the
Speedo charset in its 850 guise as the basis of these PRNs. After all, that's
the charset we've been using since Xy4 was released. I did not implement the
437 extensions that are mapped as Speedo chars 782-909. In place of the
drawing characters (which are reproducible in Postscript, but not included in
Latin-1 Type 1 fonts), I added a few extra characters that I like, correlated
to their Speedo character numbers (258, 259, etc.). The Euro is mapped on 176
in both PRNs. Please look at the _last page_ of the PDFs to see the exact
charset.

For Xy3, I also followed the Speedo charset because it is basically 850. All
the characters of the Xy4 PRN are also available in Xy3, but they are remapped
to drawing characters >176 (not the Xy4 extended characters >255). Xy3
implements 9 different fonts (monospaced, proportional, serif and sans serif).
There are no Symbol Set or Dingbat fonts in either PRN.

I also have, pretty much "in the can", a 1252 version for Xy4, if anybody is
interested.

Note that the WiDth tables are not absolutely precise, because some rounding
must occur when reducing the native PS widths to XyWrite widths (reduction is
greater than 5-to-1). This is quite tricky to do properly.

Feedback welcome.

Robert Holmgren
holmgren@xxxxxxxx