Sent: Sunday, December 09, 2007 3:17 PM
Subject: Re: Dosemu, Linux, XyWrite -- another clipboard kludge
andy turnbull wrote:
neat idea -- but c:clip???
if I could save direct from xywrite to the clipboard it would be wonderful -- but where is the clipboard? I keep my xy test files in a directory below windows c:\a, but I can't find the clipboard file. Is it called 'clip?' Does it exist when there is nothing saved on the windows clipboard?
Bob was talking about cut and paste in Linux. You seem to be talking about
doing it in Windows. Is that right? Well, the issue is solved--has been
for a couple of years now.
You need to be running Xy4 and install the Xywwweb.U2 set of utilities.
Search the archives for instructions on using the frame clipw. You need to
assign "copy to clipboard using clipw" and "paste from clipboard using
clipw" (those are not the actual key assignments, which are explained in
the archive, but what they do) to keys in your keyboard file, then use
them. (I use Ctrl-Shift C for copy and ctrl-shift v for paste, to keep
them close to the standard Windows assignments.) Robert's wonderful
routine--but here's how he described it to me recently, when I had mucked
things up on the Vista box through my own stupidity:

>>When you launch CLIP.EXE, it first looks to see whether
>>CLIP.TXT exists in Editor's dir. If CLIP.TXT exists, then it
>>knows to read CLIP.TXT and Copy the contents _to_ the Clipboard
>>(and then it deletes CLIP.TXT). If CLIP.TXT does NOT exist,
>>then it knows to Paste _from_ the Clipboard into a CLIP.TXT
>>that it creates.
Note that clip.txt gets created in Editor.exe's directory, not c:\ or c:\windows or c:\Program Files or anyplace else.
Another kludge in Windows is to run Xy in a window, define the text you
want to copy, click on the title bar, chose Edit, then copy. The other way
around, you define and hit Ctrl-C in a Windows app, then in Xy, click on
the titlebar, Edit->Paste. Slow as molasses, and in Vista characters get
lost. Not a patch on U2's clip, but I was forced to use it when I was
traveling and discovered I hadn't brought all the U2Utils with me.
--
Patricia M. Godfrey
priscameg@xxxxxxxx